December 18, 2008

Nothing To Do With Photography

During my usual morning reads I came across an article on Champurrado, a kind of Mexican hot chocolate with cinnamon, brown sugar and cayenne... It sounds fantastic!

Although I live in a very asian part of Toronto I think I'm going to try and find the ingredients for this recipe:

***
Champurrado
Ingredients:
1 3.3 oz disc of Mexican hot chocolate
1/2 cup of masa harina
2 cups of water
2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (to taste)
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
A pinch of cayenne

Method:
1. In a pot, place the hot chocolate disc in 1 cup of water and 2 cups of milk. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar and cayenne. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted.
2. In a blender, mix the masa harina with 1 cup of water. Add the hot chocolate to the blender, and mix with the masa until smooth.
3. Return the chocolate and masa to the pan and heat on medium low, stirring occasionally until thickened. If too thick, slowly add a bit more water until it reaches your preferred consistency.


***

I have no idea what masa harina is nor where to get "Mexican" hot chocolate, which to me looks like a disk of cocoa, but I think on my few Christmas days off coming up I need to go on an expedition to find these items.

Anyone know of a Mexican grocery store?

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment